Thursday, October 2, 2014

I think Good Style Improves the Enviroment for Everybody - Zelda Kaplan (Advanced Style)



Last night a group of us vintage fashionistas went to Palace Centro to see the documentary "Advanced Style".
 
Advanced Style examines the lives of seven unique New Yorkers whose eclectic personal style and vital spirit have guided their approach to aging.(IMDb)




I have been a big fan of Ari Cohen's Blog http://advancedstyle.blogspot.com.au/ where he photographers 'older' women who radiate fabulous style & charisma, so when I heard he had made a documentary on this subject, I was very excited.
What to wear to a movie about unique style????
In my cupboard of fairly stock standard black, red and navy outfits I decided to wear one of my favourites. A 'vases' novelty print rayon 1940s frock that has the most lovely scalloped detailing on the sleeves :)
 

 

This doco focused on only seven of Mr Cohen's subjects but these seven ladies were simply extraordinary.

During the film there was much swooning, hands flying to chests with gasps of "Oh My!" and peels of laughter at some of the wonderful quotes from these aged women.

The ladies of this documentary (who range in age from 62 - 95) have the most beautiful attitude towards life.  Although each of them posses their own unique (sometimes a bit wild & crazy) personal style, the message they all share seems to be the same.

EMBRACE YOUR OWN UNIQUENESS
BE YOURSELF
STUFF WHAT THE WORLD THINKS
YOUR AGE MEANS NOTHING
DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD.


THE 'SUPER' ADVANCED STYLE QUEEN Mrs Chrissy

As I was watching I could see certain people I know in the personalities of each of these women!!
Not naming names!!! LOL

There was one lady in particular who I thought was simply divine and had me sighing whenever she came on the screen.
Joyce who is 80.
She epitomises classic style and glamour. Unlike the other ladies who were all about very bright colours and outrageous hats and jewellery, in most settings, Joyce had on a simple black outfit but with a exquisite tartan or silk wrap and always a string of pearls. Stunning.
Yep. I thought.
I want that to be me when I am 80.
I loved her quote "I never wanted to look young. I wanted to look great."

JOYCE
I came out of this viewing feeling all warm & fuzzy.  I felt like I wanted to start wearing more vibrant colours, more fuck off big flower corsages and buying a mountain of 1940s silk lounge wear so I can just laze around sipping exotic teas whilst looking fabulous.

I also kept thinking of my own grandmother who is 81 years old. My Nanny is all about style and always looks immaculate. In the doco one lady comments that she didn't wear a particular outfit for 7 years because she couldn't find the 'right' earrings.  My Nanny is like that. Before she goes out into public she must be completely co-ordinated.
Every time I visit her she takes my arm & leads me into her bedroom where we spend the next 30 minutes viewing her latest buys..
"Oh Vicki I got this beautiful blouse from Lifeline for only $5 but I thought the buttons were just lovely so then I just HAD to go to Millers and buy some nice slacks to match. I realised I didn't have the exact right shade of navy shoes & bag to match so luckily I found some in Target and well I already had these lovely gold earrings to match. You see how they brings out the colour in the buttons?..... Now THIS outfit is another story..............."
Hmmmmmmm this explains A LOT about me..... I think it might be genetic.



Addy expressing her own individual style.


I can highly recommend this movie.  I think that if you love style & fashion you will just fall in LOVE with these women and their message about aging in today's youth and fad obsessed society. 

SIMPLY WONDERFUL & UPLIFTING DOCOMENTARY.
"INTERMEDIATE" ?? STYLE


FOR MORE INFORMATION GO TO:  http://advancedstylefilm.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment